Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Hidden Art chapter 1

MyHomeyHaven

I'm resurrecting my long forgotten blog to join in a book study of Edith Schaeffer's Hidden Art of Homemaking. I've read this book many times and it's time for a refresher!

This chapter is a great reminder to me of the real reason behind my desire to create things. These days I go most often to the kitchen or my fiber and spindles, but in the past, I first might have pulled up a chair to the sewing machine or picked up a cross-stitch pattern. I love learning new things-I started learning about card-making last December, and last Saturday I made my first real batch of soap!
My difficulty has been that I often lose sight of the Big Picture in the midst of all my creating. I tend to get so focused on all the neat things to make and do that I don't even see the enormity of the mess that it brings along with it. I feel the stress of it, but I am not motivated to action. My love for creating and learning new things has smothered the peace and order of our home. And, in my mind, that's where a lot of the beauty is. Because...
I am not an interior designer. My idea of decorating is limited to trying to find a place to fit another bookcase. My sister got all of the natural talent in that area. Her home is decorated with truly lovely things, and it was easy for her. I'm ready to expand and learn some skills that will make our home a more beautiful and inviting place. The first skill is the most important and it is completely free!!

I started a crisis clean/declutter of the house at the beginning of the week in yet another another attempt to get control of the piles. While it's coming along amazingly well, I don't want to lose sight of the real reason WHY I want my house to look nice. Not for the sake of "nice", but because God has given creative ability to us. I have been rather unbalanced in the use of mine and it's time to even things out a little.
I'm so excited to join in this study-it has come at the perfect time for me.

2 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Tonya @ My Homey Haven said...

Good luck with that decluttering! Clutter is a constant battle for me. I am finally learning that it is much easier to nip it before it starts and I have an advantage- when we moved into our current home, we had very little in terms of possessions. Of course it doesn't take long to accumulate does it? Unfortunatley.... :(

I'm so excited that you decided to join the Hidden Art of Homemaking book study and I'm thrilled to see what you are already learning. I'm actually excited to read the book this time around (I tried and failed before). It helps to have a others participate so we can encourage one another. :)

Hope that decluttering is going well, I think that is a great place to start. And coming from someone that used to have waaaaaaaay too much clutter, it is so freeing to part with it. Can't wait to hear about your progress. Blessings! :)

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad you've joined the study, Holly. I, too, am battling the war on clutter. This month I took on the challenge to declutter and re-organize our game/hobby/crafting/sewing area. The two projects go hand-in-hand beautifully.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home