Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Doesn't take much...

Perhaps I am easily pleased, I don't know. There must be some reason I get such a charge out of seeing this


become this


I love my wool combs. Every now and then I think fondly of drumcarders and ponder just how many months/years it would take to save up for one. The cure? I go to my storage closet where I have a number of lovely, well-prepared rovings from wool mills that are highly acclaimed by spinners everywhere. I pull one out and proceed to spin. I enjoy the process, I really do. But there is a difference between spinning them and spinning mine. Spinning a freshly combed top is like eating a Chocolate Pie that you made with real chocolate, cream, sugar-all the good stuff.
I think what it is is that with the top(and I'm NOT spending gobs of time combing here-two passes MAYBE three) I don't have to pick out all the little neps that finewools inevitably get in a carder. Many spinners are not bothered by these and allow them to zip on by and find a home in the singles-no problem. Sigh. Not me. A carder would be a welcome addition to my closet but only as a blending tool not as a timesaver. I'll still be flicking all the tips anyway.
Pie, anyone?
On the learning front...
Tripp has been talking about speaking redemptively. If I could only grab hold of this concept! If I fail to deal with my own heart issues then I am unprepared to "speak the truth in love" to my children. The most important encounter in personal ministry(or relationships)is not people's encounter with us, but their encounter with Him. Paul's epistle to the Philippians says "Do not look out for your own interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who....emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant..." I need to meditate on this today!

1 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Did you dye the fiber yourself Holly? I really dyeing locks of fleece - and I agree with you totally about the wool combs, it is my favorite way to prep fiber. Not fastest, but favorite ;) Hugs, Cary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home