Friday, June 30, 2006


C got her second bee sting yesterday. Poor thing flew into her sandal and tried to resist the impending doom. Since that's exactly what happened with her first sting, you can bet she will no longer be wearing sandals in the backyard bee haven. Mark hasn't sprayed the yard with chemicals for the last two years (much to my delight) so we would be more accurate calling it a clover field than a lawn.
C screamed like a banshee for about ten minutes. I applied my vinegar/baking soda paste but it didn't seem to help. Half an hour later she said that it still hurt as much as ever. (OK, since she was no longer splitting my eardrums, I'm sure it was SOMEWHAT better :~) ) But when by bedtime, she was talking about needing to throw up and having a bad headache AND she had a fever, I got a bit concerned. Apparently she is having a toxic reaction to the bee venom. To ONE sting! The bottom and side of her foot is swollen, slightly red to purple, and is "really, really itchy and hurting". Needless to say, she did not sleep well. This AM she made a face when I picked her up-so, we can add general tenderness to the list as well.
Who knew?!? Well, however uncomfortable it is, it's certainly better than being allergic!


At 2:02 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

That is the saddest face! I sure hope she's feeling better :o)

At 8:42 PM, Blogger vanessa said...

i am allergic to bees, wasps, and ants, and just want to tell you to be careful for your daughter. in order to become allregic to stings, you have to have a precipitating event (a first sting). i didn't develop my allergy til my late forties, one weekend i got stung by a wasp, just a little itchy. the next weekend i got stung by another wasp, and went into anaphylactic shock. don't want to alarm you, but just don't want the same thing to happen to your daughter!


Post a Comment

<< Home