Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Particulars

Here are some of the details on the new sweater. For those of you interested in such things. This is Brown Sheep's Nature Spun Worsted in Pepper. I bought this batch planning to knit something for myself, but then when the seasons changed, I saw that I have several black sweaters already. What can I say? They were purchased-they didn't make a big impression ;~) Although none of them were what I envisioned making when I purchased the yarn, I still can't quite justify ANOTHER black sweater. I made an ASJ a couple of years back, and still want to frog it(due to the whole "explosion in a paint factory" look) and the main color there-yep, black. Therefore, I'll still have some black knitting for me later this season. If I can get to it. So...this yarn went to my eldest-we have similar coloring.

Anyway, I pulled out my Addi Turbos(size 3 since I didn't have any larger Addis and I wanted to use them for some reason) I chose a nice basic cable-a 13 st width three strand plait from BW's 1st Treasury and cast on for the saddles. You want a couple of inches' width for a saddle and one repeat worked great here. After working to the point of the shoulder(roughly four and a half inches in this case) I put the live sts on a strand of wool(to be worked downward later when it's sleeve time) and picked up along the side(s) for the back. I had measured my boy and knew I wanted to make a 32"sweater. Since my gauge was 5 sts to the inch, I knew I wanted a total of 160 sts around the fullest part of the chest. I picked up 24 sts along the saddle, knitted on 24 sts for the back of the neck(BW recommends splitting the back into thirds)then 24 for the opposing saddle. See? Nothing too hard so far :~) I did add three short rows along the back of the neck to shape the shoulder area, then just knitted straight toward the underarm. When I reached his underarm line, I began to increase a st at those outside edges. This gave me those extra 16 sts I needed, and soon all was ready and waiting to be joined together and knit in one long piece-front, back, side, once I had the fronts ready. I did a couple of short rows on them, too. Well, actually, I did add an extra st to each front for a selvage. So, I've got 162 sts and I plan to knit another inch or two before putting these sts on a length of wool and then picking up for the sleeves.

So, this evening I'm knitting merrily along and loving the fact that I can try this nifty piece of knitting on the recipient whenever the mood strikes. Which is pretty often, 'cause I'm just so entranced by the whole designing with Barbara thing.
J should be hiding in his closet by tomorrow afternoon.

3 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Can you have too much black? Don't think so. :) And, you go girl on that sweater. I would be totally lost.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Barbara Walker rocks! I finally picked up a pieced sweater that I was dreading doing the sleeves on. I seamed the fronts and backs together and used BW's method for top down inset sleeves. So cool!

Glad you are reaping some good knitting from her work too!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

What Harmony needles are you expecting? I love the one pair of circulars I have. I haven't used the dpns yet. I want more!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home