Monday, April 23, 2007

Possibilities

The Serenity socks are progressing nicely. The fiber is really plush and enjoyable to work with-the color changes could be spaced better, but I don't mind. They are bed socks after all-since there's no nylon or mohair content. Plus, being handspun, I am loathe to wear big honkin' holes in them! The garter st short row heels are...well...I'm not sure I can find the words. Let's just say that I love them. Lucy Neatby is some sort of genius. Used her garter st wedge toe, too. Uh Huh. Get used to these variations around here.
I worked a swatch(yep, unheard of pre-FLAK) for an upcoming project. Filled out my Gauge Page from Sweater Workshop. I'm ready to go! This will be a button front cardigan in WOTA (fog) with garter stitch borders. I doubt it will be next in the line-up, but it's coming soon.


Then I worked another swatch(I know, the mind reels) Since there's so much going on with the yarn(handspun-one ply of Ashland Bay Colonial roving in Purple and one of royal blue Finn top) this will be a ultra plain pullover. I'll probably use Barbara Walker's Knitting From the Top for this one. I love the idea of designing top down-but I'm nervous. Maybe this will help me get over that.
So these are the large projects that are on the slate until the weather forces me to put down the wool in favor of cottons. Wonder how far I'll get?

5 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

I really hate swatches!!!! But am finding the nasty little things necessary with the various things I'm knitting. My husband preached a message on walking in the fog. That is walking in the favor of God. When I saw your (fog) I thought of that. Did you know that when you put picture in the center the reader can't click on them to enlarge for detail? I recently found this out with my blog thought I'd pass it on.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holly, thanks for the comment on my blog. It's the first I've gotten from someone I don't know IRL.

I have Lucy's Sock Dvds on my Need-To-Buy list. Sock construction is facinating.

I love swatches. If anything, I overdo them. I knit loosely, so they're essential much of the time. I usually buy extra yarn just for the swatch. I try out bind-offs and edgings on them. But I almost never wash them.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger the girl with pointy sticks said...

Swatches? We don't need no stinkin swatches!
heh heh heh

they are blocks for a future blanket.......

Handspun? You spun? *big eyes gaze in awe* cooool. One day when I'm a real grown up I'm going to learn to spin more than my wheels.
Thanks for commenting in my blog, I was bouncing outta my chair I was so tickled.
I see you homeschool too? How awesome! Good for you mom, thats fantastic. Do you go through a lot of duct tape with the kids bouncing around too???

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Theresa said...

The Serenity Socks are coming out kind of fun with the random striping! I've never tried that kind of heel. Are there instructions on the web or is it something you have to buy in a book or her dvd?

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Oh! I love your socks! They look so warm....and the colors are rich and very pretty!

I'm happy to meet you.
Your picture is so cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home