Wednesday, May 30, 2007

One of life's lessons


Monday morning I learned that the chicken tractor was not predator proof. Sunday I saw a strange cat in the neighbor's yard, eyeing my little pullets while they pecked around their pen unconcerned. I spent the next two hours reinforcing said pen. They were so cute-coming over to see what I was doing and hoping I might have something for them. They had finally begun eating out of my hand. They were bigger than in this pic-not even two weeks and they were starting to look like miniature chickens instead of chicks.
I got up Monday morning and peeked out the window, as was becoming my habit, to see them pecking around in the grass-but there was no movement. I saw my favorite one lying in the middle of the pen-taking an early dust bath? No-too long-I ran outside. Two in the pen-one carried off to who knows where.
Apparently, the roof connectors were not sufficient to hold the weight of a stalking predator. Several gave way. I'm not over it. I'm actually hoping it was a racoon and not some fat, bored cat.

6 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Holly! I hate those kind of lessons. I get so attached -- and feel so responsible.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

How horrible!!!!!! So did you lose all of them? I hate that!!!! That is one reason I'm kind of sheepish about getting chickens again. Hope things go better for you. :) I'll have to tell you my chicken story sometime.

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your chicks, it's so sad when something like that happens.I hope you won't be put off keeping chickens.

A thought to cheer you up - I am working away on your socks, and they are looking good. I do hope that you like them.

Sockpal x

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger the girl with pointy sticks said...

Oh :(

I'm so incredibly sorry to read this Holly.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

:o( Oh, how sad. I haven't been reading blogs much lately so I didn't know. I'm glad to read you got some new hens...it sounds like they needed a good home too. Hopefully the roof is made in such a way that it won't be too difficult to reinforce.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Amber (Bouncing Buttons) said...

I have been trying to post this comment for weeks (blogger is giving me a hard time posting comments)I feel so sorry for you with loosing your chicks! We lost some a few years ago a dog chased after and got them. I was heartbroken over it (I am sure you felt the same way). I am glad I tried again with chickens my children both LOVE ours. I will never forget loosing our first batch of chickens. We hatched them ourselves in an incubator. I feel so bad to see you had the same loss! BTW I am trying to email you I just haven't figured out how to do that yet. I will try again to figure it out after I get the children to sleep. I can't find an email address to write you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home