Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Peeps!





I was busy yesterday, although not with knitting. I built a pen for these instead. This has been a goal of mine for-oh, 6-8 years maybe. I had called the zoning office when we moved back here five years ago, and the employee said no chickens allowed. I still picked up the occasional chicken book at the library, and did see some mention double checking the actual printed code because often people in the office don't really know. Well, last week, I found out that my gardening neighbor two doors down finally got some-yeah, we've had conversations about this before. So, I told dh and he was more receptive than I expected. I guess he figured that the chicken thing wasn't gonna go away. Got online-checked code. Just guess what it said?!? Make sure your coop is at least 18" high and that you're not bothering the neighbors with excessive stink/noise. And that was for within city limits-which we aren't. So.....three little Ameraucana chicks came home with us yesterday. You can see the third one better if you click on the pic. They're so fun to watch :~) The one with the gold head is well on her way of being the Boss.
This whole scenario makes me think of one of my favorite lines. "Once you establish yourself as an eccentric, you no longer have to explain your actions to anyone." I wonder if this is true for me yet? I have quite a list of odd quirks that the extended family has raised brows over.

These grew along the highways back in TX-I put some in one of my herb beds. I sowed the last of the annual seeds this morning-some Zinnias, Asters, Bachelor Buttons, Black-eyed Susans, and Hollyhocks. Hope they come up. I'm notorious for watering faithfully for a few days and then forgetting them altogether.

One last photo for you today. The promised shot of the sock yarn Log Cabin afghan. Pretty wild, eh? Well, yes, I am knitting this totally random-how'd you know?

5 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Carissa said...

How great to have chickens! When we move out of our current place, I hope to try a few myself. The log cabin afghan looks great too!

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Tag!!!! Check ouy my blog for details. :)

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Oh, little chickies. That is one of my dreams as well. I had some several years ago at another home. I had trouble keeping my yorkies out of them and then a weasel had his way with them. :( If we stay in our present house, with 13 acres, a barn and a nice little wooden building that would make a dandy chicken coop, I'm getting me some more. Thanks for the inspiration.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Glad to see that you got the chicks that you wanted.

BTW...I'm your KTS3 Pal. Thanks for dropping by my blog earlier. I'll have more time to write later but just thought I would drop by and say hi!

HI!

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go with the bitties! We have a few this year and one of our turkeys hatched about 10 babies!

You need to bring the kids by to see the lambs... we have one in the house that's being bottle fed and he's too cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home