Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Back in the saddle

All your kind condolences on the loss of the chicks were so appreciated!!! I still miss them. Saturday we received a call from a friend from church. He's the landscaping/agriculture man at the local career center and he had four young laying hens and a bunny to place ASAP since school was coming to an end. So, Mark bought the whole kit and caboodle, popped them on the trailer he uses to haul his mowing equipment to jobs and headed for home. Poor hens. They look like they've been dragged through a knothole. Apparently they spent some time with an aggressive rooster who thought they'd look more attractive with large bald patches on their backs. Really hoping those feathers grow back. :~) They are a haggard bunch. Anyway, they are completely enclosed in a wire pen, bullet-proof compared to what my little pullets were in, so I feel sure they will 'thrive and flourish like the green olive tree'. And they've forgiven dh for that dreadful ride through town and given us four eggs already. Our friend also threw in half a dozen extra tomato plants that he had. So, now I'm completely overrun with tomatoes-and after all my promises to not have so many this year! And I even gave some away!
My oldest promptly named one of the hens, Josefina. While I think that is a fine name for a chicken, I really think that particular one is Mrs. Hammond. Perhaps I can convince him to choose another of the bunch to call Josefina. If any of you can remember where the character Mrs. Hammond is found, I will send you a TREAT.

4 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Glad all has turned out happy!!! And eggs already, how wonderful. Wish I could tell you about Mrs. Hammond, but don't remember that one. The only thing I can think of is "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken."

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne of Green Gables? Isn't that it?

I tried to send you an email after the one you sent, but Hotmail is totally messing up for me right now and eating everything I try to send! I'll call you sometime in the week ok?

Shea

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Shea's right...there is a Mrs. Hammond who was one of Anne's foster mothers..the second one I think.

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fresh eggs are adictive. Best of luck with your new brood.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home