Friday, March 03, 2006

More socks

Only one heel to go on T's socks before I am finished. I'm making ankle socks with striped heels because I am running out of yarn. He's been wearing ankle socks all winter anyway. I'll post a pic when they are completed!

I went to A C Moore last night, with two 40% off coupons in my hot little hands. I was determined to purchase another set of circulars for sock knitting and then I saw Charlene Church's(OK that looks wrong-I must be misspelling it) Sensational Knitted Socks book. A $25 price tag means less when you're holding a coupon. AND, I had NO children with me so was able to peruse the book at leisure. I was quite impressed and I have a whole 3-ring binder full of sock patterns, not counting the books that also have sock info inside of them. I was SO tempted that I actually couldn't make a decision. I left the store with only ONE circular needle! I figured I could take a little time and go back on Sat. Then, I headed over to Hancock's to see what kind of fabrics they might have that would suit a special project I have in mind. While I was waiting at the cutting table I looked over at the book rack and there was The Best of Knitter's Arans and Celtics. Who knew? In a fabric store? Several nice sweaters there, but the pull on that one lessened overnight.
My Stahman's Shawls and Scarves book arrived today. I'd seen that one before when I borrowed it years ago from the knitting guild library. Why I waited so long to purchase it is a mystery. Simply lovely designs! I may never make another type of shawl again. I'm thinking of devoting the Targhee blend I've been spinning to the Marialis shawl, but then there's the Andean Treasure in Embers...I may use that for Marialis. I've already cast on the seed stitch edge, actually. I'm a little uneasy about using my handspun for lace-I'm not sure that my spinning is even enough. Fenna might be better for the Targhee, and it would make the perfect shawl for winter reading by the fire. I need to take a closer look at the yarn before I decide.

2 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Jan said...

Hey, I've used my handspun for lace and it's wonderful! Any unevenness (and believe me that was lots in my case, LOL) just kind of disapears! So I wouldn't worry about it and knit on!

I have the Stahman book as well. It is beautiful. According to the laceknitters email group, of which Stahman is a part, she is getting ready to come out with a new book devoted to the feather and fan stitch. I hate feather and fan, but can't wait to see what she has come up with, because I love the shawls and scarves book so much.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Jenny Raye said...

Don't you just love Sensational Knitted Socks?!?! I have one on order through Borders--gotta love those Discover card rewards--free books!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home