Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Mommy brain strikes again


T's socks have been declared done, tried on, scowled at, and then ripped out 3 times now. First, the toes were too long and pointy, but then the foot was still too long, finally, the heel too small. They have been banished to my knitting bag where I hope they are learning a valuable lesson. You'd think this was my first pair of socks!!! Thoughout this whole fiasco, the ability to weave live stitches together has remained elusive. After umpteen pairs of socks with nicely grafted toes, I simply cannot do it anymore. I've pored over the instructions and checked other books until I can't even look at the socks. Here's what is happening-I know it's almost impossible to see since it's so close to the ribbing. It's the lumpy, twisty row eight rows above the stripe. Perfectly awful. (Please don't ask why I have grafting to perform at this point of the sock-you really don't want to know. Let me just say that these socks were doomed from the start and leave it at that, OK? However-I WILL WIN)
On the other sock, I was so disgusted, I just jerked all the live stitches off the needles and began to weave them together willy-nilly. However my whim/gut instinct dictated. The result was a flawless reverse stockinette stitch weave. I flipped the sock inside out to check. Yes, there it was-the real deal-on the INSIDE of my sock heel! How can this be? Am I doomed to a three needle bind off forever?

I knit the first two rows of the Alberta shawl last night and all my knitting equilibrium was restored. Lovely, lovely yarn. (Knitpicks Andean Treasure-Embers) I've not knit with alpaca before so I'm thoroughly enjoying this. See its humble seed stitch beginnings? It shall hereafter be known as the Emma shawl, since I'm listening to Emma on audio book while I knit.

1 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Blogger beadlizard said...

I've been adept at kitchener (grafting) for decades, yet still have days and certain projects where I feel as if someone is twisting my brain inside out and the stitches refuse to meld. Do you have a friend who could come over and lend you an extra set of hands? Sometimes if I have my daughter hold the two needles with the live stitches, I have an easier time of grafting. --Sylvia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home